6 Best Red Light Therapy Devices for Joint and Muscle Pain Relief
First and foremost, red light therapy benefits and near infrared light therapy benefits have been known for centuries. In fact, even NASA used infrared therapy to help astronauts. So, it’s no surprise that red light therapy for skin provides pain relief, increases blood flow, wound healing, to name a few of the benefits. Therefore, below is a review of red light therapy devices that can help you get relief from some joint pain, muscle pain as well as heal some wounds. Most of all, you can do this red light therapy at home.
Quick Answer: Best Red Light Therapy Devices
Table of Content
Review of Best Red Light Therapy Devices
Editor’s Choice of Best Red Light Therapy Devices
5. Beurer IL50
Comparison of Best Red Light Therapy for Skin
Red Light Device
Near Infrared Light
1. TENDLITE Therapy
60-day money back guarantee
2. DGYAO Near Infrared Therapy
1-year free replacement of charger, controller, connectors over life
3. Serfory Red Light Therapy
1-year, free bulb replacement in first 6 months
4. Choicemmed Infrared Heat Lamp
5. Beurer IL50
6. Hooga Red Light Therapy
30x 660nm LEDs
30x 850nm LEDs
1. TENDLITE Therapy
TENDLITE Red Light Therapy Device
- 1First, the Tendlite uses the same light therapy (phototherapy) technology NASA used to provide pain relief and speed up healing.
- 2Second, the light penetrates deeply to reach injured tissue. Consequently, it speeds up pain relief. By the way, pain relief is due to the immediate restoration of blood circulation in the deep tissue. Which, in turn, reduces inflammation.
- 3Third, the red light therapy for skin uses very safe medical grade 3,000 milliwatts Light Emitting Diode or LED. Meanwhile, the LED generates 660 nanometer (nm) wavelength red light.
- 4Next, the Tendlite is lightweight, yet made of durable material.
- 5Consequently, it is portable.
- 6By the way, the package includes a zippered storage sleeve, wrist band, protective eyewear, two rechargeable batteries, and a charger.
- 7Moreover, the Tendlite is a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cleared medical device, under K-100213, to treat various types of pain.
- 8Meanwhile, you can use this red light therapy at home or take it with you anywhere.
- 9Finally, it comes with a 60-days money back guarantee.
- 1Up to 3 one or two minute daily sessions.
- 1First, the Tendlite red light therapy benefits include fast relief from chronic or acute pain, arthritis, back pain, joint pain, tendonitis, sprains, or other muscle aches and pain. By the way, the Tendlite helps the ligaments and tendons supporting a joint, not the joint itself.
- 2Also, the red light therapy benefits include directly targeting injuries.
- 3Lastly, the Tendlite red light therapy benefits include powerful pain relief without causing harmful side effects.
- 1First, the Tendlite is small and portable.
- 2Second, it uses rechargeable batteries.
- 3Third it uses LED to generate 660 nm red light.
- 4Next, it is cleared by the FDA as a medical device.
- 5Most of all, this red light therapy for skin is best used in treating small areas.
- 6Finally, treatment requires only 1 or 2 minute sessions.
- 1However, this red light therapy for skin is restricted to layers of the skin and not anything deeper.
- 2Also, while there is 60 day money back guarantee, there is no mention of a longer warranty.
2. DGYAO Near Infrared Therapy
Red Light Near Infrared Therapy
- 1First, the shorter 13.8” x 8” x 0.6” wearable flexible pad has a 12” x 6” treatment area that helps reduce treatment time.
- 2Second, this treatment area has 117 embedded red lights and near infrared lights that penetrate deep into your body’s tissue.
- 3Third, rows of red lights alternate with rows of near infrared lights.
- 4So, in total, there are 52 visible red lights with a wavelength of 660 nanometer (nm). And, these red lights reach deep layers of your skin, where they stimulate cellular repair and increase blood circulation to promote a more vibrant, youthful complexion that is invisible to the naked eye.
- 5Also, there are 65, invisible, near infrared lights with a wavelength of 880 nm. By the way, the 880 nm near infrared light can penetrate 0.2 to 0.4 inches deep into your body and get absorbed by muscles and subcutaneous tissue. Now, your body responds to this light by increasing blood flow. As a result, this area of the body gets more oxygen and nutrients that it needs to function more effectively. Furthermore, infrared treatment can increase phagocytosis of cells and eliminate swelling. Lastly, infrared treatment helps decrease chronic inflammation.
- 6Now, both the long and short pads are soft and comfortable. Also, the pads can be attached to your body using the included Velcro straps. Indeed, the longer Velcro strap is used for the longer pad and the shorter one for the shorter pad.
- 7Next, the light therapy automatically shuts-off after 20 minutes.
- 8Finally, the Dgyao therapy components come with a 1-year full warranty. In addition, Dgyao provides free replacement of charger, controller, and connectors over their life.
- 1First, the pads use 100 – 240 volt AC power outlet.
- 2Also, they have a 15-foot power cord so you can use this red light therapy at home.
- 1First, the 8” x 43” long pad can be used on your back, hips, or chest.
- 2While the 13.8” x 8” x 0.6” shorter pad can be used on the neck, arms, shoulders, knee, feet, and elbow.
- 3Finally, these pads are used for arthritis, feet, joints, muscles, knee, elbow inflammation nerve damage.
- 1First, the pads alleviate pain caused by aseptic inflammation such as strain of lumbar muscles, sciatica, tendonitis, bursitis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- 2Second, the near infrared light penetrating deep into the body causes thermal effects that increase tissue temperature, promote blood circulation, enhance metabolism, improve cell viability and regenerative capacity. In addition, the light accelerates healing of scars, wounds, cuts, and nerve damage.
- 3Also, the pads alleviate pain caused by sprains, swelling, and sports injuries.
- 4In addition, the long pad helps relieve back pain.
- 5Furthermore, both pads can be used to accelerate tissue recovery after surgery.
- 6Finally, red light therapy and near infrared therapy helps heal the cause of pain instead of just masking the pain.
- 1First, the close contact with the body reduces treatment time.
- 2Second, it is good for treating large areas of your body.
- 3Third, it uses 660 nm red light and 880 nm near infrared lights which go deeper into the body.
- 4Finally, it comes with a 1-year full warranty.
3. Serfory Red Light Therapy
New 150W Near Infrared Light Red Light Therapy Heat Lamp Set
- 1First, Serfory lamp set uses a 150-watts near infrared and deep red-light bulb.
- 2Second, most of the near infrared rays are absorbed by the skin and converted into heat energy, causing skin temperature to rise. As a result, the shallow blood vessels and veins dilate, which, in turn, improves blood circulation.
- 3Finally, the Serfory lamp comes with a 1-year warranty. Also, you get a free bulb replacement for the first six months.
- 1First, the lamp has a 8.5 inch base, two arms, and a bulb housing.
- 2Also, its maximum height is 25.6 inches.
- 3Finally, it has a 62 inches long power cord for plugging into a 110-volt AC outlet. So, it is easy to use this red light therapy at home.
- 1First, this device is used 3 to 7 times a week, with each session lasting from 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2Also, research has shown that red light therapy is effective for temporary relief of minor muscle and joint pain, muscle spasm, relieving stiff muscles, and relaxing muscle tissue.
- 1First, the Serfory red light therapy benefits include relief from muscle ache, joint pain in the legs, back, knees, shoulders, and elbows.
- 2Also, the red light therapy benefits include helping relieve lumbar muscle strain, leg strain, cervical pain and healing wounds.
- 3In addition, the red light therapy benefits of the Serfory lamp helps reduce chronic pain, relieve sore and stiff muscles.
- 4Finally, the Serfory red light therapy benefits include its ability to boost blood circulation, improve quality of sleep, and help recover from a surgery.
- 1First, this device is good for larger areas needing treatment.
- 2Also, it comes with a 1-year warranty.
- 3Finally, there is a free bulb replacement in the first six months.
4. Choicemmed Infrared Heat Lamp
CHOICEMMED Infrared Light Heat Lamp - 300w IR Lamp Light Therapy - IR Heat Therapy
- 1First, the 300-watts infrared lamp delivers infrared heat to the human body.
- 2Second, the lamp’s infrared light penetrates deep into the skin, to stimulate blood circulation and warm muscles. Moreover, as the muscles soothe, they loosen up and relax. Also, the warmth makes tissue more pliable, thereby reducing stiffness and making joints more flexible.
- 3Meanwhile, the light penetrates deep into the hypodermis, dermis, and epidermis layers of the skin. As a result, the infrared light helps reduce pain.
- 4Now, special optics in the heat therapy lamp redirects the output from the powerful 300-watt halogen lamp to enable a 11.8” x 15.7’ wide treatment area 12 inches from the lamp. Consequently, the user gets more comforting warmth, as the infrared warmth is equally spread over the treatment area. Moreover, the larger treatment area makes it possible to treat larger areas of the body.
- 5Next, the 15-minute digital timer automatically counts down and gives auditory feedback at the end of a session when the lamp turns off.
- 6Also, this lamp is portable, making it easy to use this red light therapy at home.
- 7In addition, the therapy lamp is 100% safe from ultraviolet light.
- 8Furthermore, the lamp has an on/off switch, tilting lamp angle of 35 degrees, and a hand grip on the top for easy positioning and moving.
- 9Next, it features a powerful 300-watts infrared ceramic plate with a 11.8" x 15.7" surface area. Most of all, it blocks all ultraviolet rays. Also, it comes with a digital timer that can be set from 1 to 15 minutes. And, the device automatically switches off after the timer expires.
- 1First, it can be used for warm relief when you have a cold, muscle ache, or under tension.
- 2Second, the infrared heat lamp can be used to treat different parts of the body such as the back, chest, shoulders, arms and legs
- 3Next, it can be used for bronchial congestion.
- 4Finally, it can be used for joint pain or muscle aches by having the infrared lamp facing the part of the body being treated.
- 1First, the heat lamp brings relief to the lower back, chest, shoulders, arms, and legs.
- 2Also, when infrared heat hits the targeted body part, the warmth opens up blood capillaries, improves circulation and aids to naturally get rid of toxins in the area, encouraging joints, muscles and damaged tissue to heal.
- 3Finally, when your muscles are warm, they automatically relax to reduce stiffness and loosen up to help your joints’ flexibility.
- 1First, this device has a 11.8” x 15.7” treatment area.
- 2Second, this is a portable lamp.
- 3Finally, it is free of ultraviolet light.
- 1However, no warranty is mentioned.
5. Beurer IL50
Beurer IL50 Infrared Light Therapy - Heating Lamp - Red Light Heat Device (Portable) - Near IR Cold Laser
- 1First, this wheelchair can be driven over smooth surfaces as well as grass.
- 1First, the 300-watts heating lamp is portable, convenient and easy to use.
- 2Second, the lamp has an adjustable tilt ranging for 0 to 50 degrees Consequently, you can direct the heat to where it’s needed.
- 3Third, the cord winder keeps the 81” cord out of the way.
- 4Also, it has an on/off switch.
- 5In addition, it has a 15-minute timer that can be set by the user. Furthermore, the lamp shuts off automatically after time has run out.
- 6Next, the IL50 lamp is good for treating large parts of your body.
- 7Also, the lamp is free of ultraviolet rays.
- 8In addition, it has active ventilation with overheat protection.
- 9Meanwhile, it has a 6.5” x 6” red light surface.
- 10Next, the ceramic glass plate provides near to mid infrared with wavelength ranging from 500 nm to a peak of 2500 nm.
Includes shortwave range is IRA (800 to 1400 nm).
Also, middle-wave range is IRB (1400 – 3000 nm).
- 11In addition, treatment time is shown on a digital display.
- 12Now, infrared heat warms up your body. As a result, capillaries expand to improve blood circulation which helps to naturally get rid of toxins.
- 13In addition, IR light therapy provides better pain relief by penetrating into deep layers of the skin.
- 14Next, this unit is 10.6” x 11.2” x 7.7”.
- 15And, it weighs only 3.3 pounds making it easy to use this red light therapy at home.
- 16Finally, it comes with a 3-year guarantee.
- 1FIrst, the treatment area is about 11.8” x 15.7” in dimension.
- 2Second, it can be used for muscle pain and other pain relief.
- 3Also, it can be used for colds, tensions and sore muscles.
- 4In addition, it can be used on the chest, shoulder, arms, legs, and back.
- 5Furthermore, it can be used to treat bronchial congestion.
- 1First, the lamp improves flexibility and blood circulation, which, in turn helps get rid of toxins in the body.
- 2Second, it encourages joints, muscles and damaged tissue to heal.
- 3Third, it warms muscles, which, in turn relax to decrease stiffness and improve joint flexibility.
- 4Also, the lamp helps treats inflammation and promotes cell repair.
- 5Finally, it reduces inflammation, swelling, and clears mucous clogged passageway.
- 1First, this device has a 11.8” x 15.7” treatment area.
- 2Second, it can be tilted from 0 to 50 degrees, making it easier to point to different areas of your body.
- 3Also, it is portable, making it easy to use this red light therapy at home.
- 4Finally, it comes with a 3-year guarantee.
6. Hooga Red Light Therapy
Red Light Therapy Device Panel - HG300
- 1First, the Hooga’s red light therapy panel emits in equal proportions:
660 nm red light. This light is absorbed by the skin tissue making it great for boosting skin health and increase production of collagen.
850 nm near infrared light. This invisible light has a strong ability to penetrate deeper into the tissue, organs, and joints, making it ideal for faster muscle recovery and reducing joint pain.
- 2Second, the beam angle of the 60 LEDs is 60 degrees.
- 3Third, the device is equipped with two power switches. The first power switch allows the user to turn on the 30 LEDs emitting 660 nm red light. Meanwhile, the second power switch allows the user to turn on the 30 LEDs emitting 850 nm near infrared light. Therefore, the user can customize treatment experience and receive either red, near infrared, or both types of light.
- 4Also, the panel features a whisper quiet internal fan that dissipates heat and ensures the unit does not overheat.
- 5In addition, a door mount and adjustable hanging kit is also included, making it easy to use this red light therapy at home.
- 6By the way, due to power efficient LEDs, the lifespan of the panel is 50,000+ hours.
- 7Furthermore, the panel has very low EMF output and is safe for EMF sensitive users.
- 8Finally, the panel comes with a 2-year warranty. In addition, if any issues arise with the panel that were not a result of misuse, the panel will either be repaired or replaced.
Now, the Hooga panel delivers an irradiance or power output of
100 mw per square centimeters 3” from the panel’s surface with a 15” x 14” coverage area,
73 mw per square centimeter 6 inches from the panel’s surface with a 20” x 18” coverage area,
41 mw per square centimeter 12 inches from the panel’s surface with a 26” x 24” coverage area, and
24 mw per square centimeter 18 inches from the panel’s surface with a 31” x 28” coverage area.
And, as you can see, the further you position yourself away from the lamp the greater the area of your body getting the light. However, the power of the light received by your body decreases. So, if you want to get full body coverage, you would stand further away from the lamp. On the other hand, if you want to target a specific narrow area of your body, you would stand closer to the lamp. Furthermore, to get the optimum dose of red and/or near infrared light, you would have to expose yourself for longer time the further away you are from the lamp.
Most of all, the Hooga red light therapy benefits include helping muscles recover, grow hair, increase collagen production for skin and joint health, increase cellular energy, and reduce inflammation.
- 1First, the user can choose a combination of 660 nm red light and 850 nm near infrared light, or choose one or the other.
- 2Second, the Hooga has a 100 mw Irradiance or power output 3” from panel’s surface with a 15” x 14” treatment area.
- 3Third, it uses LED whose lifespan is +50,000 hours.
- 4Finally, it comes with a 2-year warranty.
Buyer's Guide for Red Light Therapy Devices
First and foremost, the choice of a device depends on the nature of the problem you are trying to solve. For example, if you are trying to take care of issues in a very limited area of the body, a smaller device with a narrow red light beam would work best. On the other hand, if you want treatment over a wider area of your body, a device with a much broader red light area works best.
Also, you can do this red light therapy at home.
Finally, it's important to ensure you are comfortable with the guarantee or warranty that may or may not be offered.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
Q: What is Red Light Therapy for Skin?
Now, red light therapy for skin is a therapy that exposes you to low levels of red or near-infrared light. While you can see red light, infrared light is a type of energy that your eyes can’t see. However, your body can feel both red and infrared light as heat.
Q: How does Red Light Therapy Work?
So, when red light reaches a part of your cells called mitochondria, chromophores, within the mitochondria, absorb red and infrared light photons, and convert it into energy. By the way, mitochondria are the powerhouses of cells, responsible for making adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the cell’s form of energy, and increasing the consumption of oxygen.
Q: How does Red Light Therapy for Skin Help?
Next, in red light therapy for skin, the red light energy is absorbed by the skin. It is then used by the cells to build new proteins such as collagen and elastin, and assist with cellular regeneration. Also, this process is thought to help heal wounds by cells repairing themselves and become healthier. As a result, skin and muscle tissue heal. By the way, to avoid hurting or burning the skin, red light therapy for skin uses very low levels of heat.
And, for convenience, you can to this red light therapy at home.
Q: How does Red Light Therapy Help the Sick and the Stressed ?
First, when we are stressed or ill, mitochondria begin to produce excess nitric oxide. However, nitric oxide interferes with the consumption of oxygen within the cell, leading to oxidative stress, and ultimately, stopping the production of ATP, the cell’s source of fuel. As result, the cell may die.
By the way, red light therapy benefits include protecting the cell from the damage that nitric oxide can cause. In fact, the disruptive potential of nitric oxide is minimized by the absorption of red light photons. Also, this absorption allows the cell to continue effectively utilize oxygen and create ATP. In addition, only red light therapy can reach all the way into cell’s mitochondria to stimulate healing and regeneration, improving appearance, performance, and overall well-being.
Q: How does Near Infrared Light Work?
Now, near infrared light sits just above the visible light spectrum, with wavelengths ranging from 700 nm to over 1,100 nm. Similar to red light, not all wavelengths within this range are equally effective with respect to healing. However, wavelengths between 800-880 nm appear to offer the greatest therapeutic benefits.
Meanwhile, the body absorbs near infrared light in the same way as the visible red light, via chromophores in our cells.
Q: How does Near Infrared Light Help?
Having absorbed the near infrared light, a range of healing metabolic processes are stimulated, promoting healing and regeneration.
However, there is one significant difference between red and near infrared light. Near infrared light is able to penetrate deeper into the body’s tissue, because its wavelengths are longer. As a result, near infrared light is able to more successfully target deep wounds, muscle, or joint pain.
Q: How do Red Light Devices Differ?
Red light therapy devices differentiate themselves by their purpose. For example, a small portable device covers a small area of your body and is best for localized relief. On the other hand, red light lamps cover broader areas of your body for treatment. In addition, lamps differentiate themselves in the ways they can be used. For example, a red light bulb in a bulb holder is best used while you are laying down or possibly sitting. Meanwhile a larger red light device can be used while you are sitting or standing.
Q: Who Needs Red Light Therapy Devices?
Now, these devices are helpful if you need relief from the conditions listed below. Moreover, you can use this red light therapy at home.
- 2Back pain
- 3Bronchial congestion
- 5Cervical pain
- 6Chronic or acute pain
- 7Dementia - In fact, a study showed that this therapy helped dementia patients improve their memories, sleep better, and get angry less often.
- 8Hair loss - Another study found that androgenetic alopecia patients grew thicker hair. By the way, andogenetic alopecia is a genetic disorder that causes hair loss.
- 10Joint pain in the legs, back, knees, shoulders, and elbows
- 11Leg strain
- 12Lumbar muscle strain
- 13Osteoarthritis - A study found that red and infrared light therapy cut osteoarthritis-related pain by more than 50%.
- 14Muscle pain
- 15Muscle spasms
- 16Musculoskeletal disorders - Research shows that adults with different musculoskeletal disorders could have their pain effectively reduced by Red Light Therapy. Furthermore, researchers note that those who stick to recommended dosage seem to increase the therapy's effectiveness.
- 17Rheumatoid arthritis
- 19Sore muscles - Indeed, a 2013 study demonstrated that LED red light therapy reduced sore muscles and strength loss after an eccentric exercise bout.
- 20Sports injuries
- 22Stiff muscles
- 25Tendinitis - A very small study found that red light therapy lessens inflammation and pain in people with Achilles tendinitis.
- 26Wounds - Research shows that red light therapy may help heal wounds by:
First, stimulating formation of new blood vessels.
Second, boosting production of collagen in the skin.
Also, increasing fibroblasts in the skin
Finally, reducing inflammation in the cells