7 Best Deep Tissue Massagers for Fast Relief from Sore Muscles - DIY in 2020
Most of all, Do It Yourself (DIY) best deep tissue massagers are used to treat musculoskeletal problems such as strains. The goal of these massagers is to target the inner layers of your muscles and connective tissues. As a result of these massagers, scar tissue breaks up and helps reduce tension in the muscles and tissue. Meanwhile, using chi machines before a workout helps loosen muscles and prevent potential problems during or after a workout.
Quick Answer: 7 Best Percussion Massagers in 2020
Table of Contents
7 Best Deep Tissue Massager Reviews
6. OPOVE M3 Pro Black
Comparison of 7 Best Deep Tissue Massagers
Click here to see a side-by-side comparison of deep tissue massagers, reviewed below, to help you decide. Meanwhile, the list of massagers, in order of recommendations follows.
- 1OPOVE M3 Pro Black
- 2OPOVE M3
- 6VYBE Pro
MADETEC Muscle Massage Gun, Deep Tissue Percussion Muscle Massager Guns, Handheld Vibration Portable Drill Massager Device
Above all, this massager comes with four massage heads.
- 1First, the ball head is used to massage large muscle groups like the back, buttocks, thighs, and calves. Also, this head helps dissipate lactic acid.
- 2Second, the fork head is used for massaging the neck, spine, vertebrae, and the achilles tendon.
- 3Third, the flat head is best for relaxing the body and shaping muscles.
- 4Lastly, the bullet head relieves joints and is best for deep tissues such as meridians, palms, soles, joints, and trigger points.
Next, it has 20 speed levels up to maximum of 3,180 percussions per minute. Also, the stroke length is 9.42 mm. In addition, a touch screen displays the speed and lets you select any of these 20 speed levels.
- 1First, speed levels 1 to 4 are for warming up.
- 2Second, speed levels 5 to 8 are for holistic relaxation.
- 3Third, speed levels 9 to 12 are for daily health care.
- 4Fourth, speed levels 13 to 16 are for relaxing muscles.
- 5Lastly, speed levels 17 to 20 are for deep massage.
Also, this massager is super quiet, generating between 35 to 55 decibels of sound. Meanwhile, for comparison, normal talk is 60 to 70 decibels, while a ringing alarm clock is 75 to 90 decibels.
Battery and Motor
- 1Next, it comes with a 2,400 mAh high quality lithium-ion battery that can work for 5 to 8 hours depending on speed and use.
- 2However, to ensure your safety, the massage gun will automatically turn off after 15 minutes of constant use.
- 3Also, the LCD displays the remaining battery charge.
- 4In addition, the lithium-ion battery is recharged in 3 hours.
- 5Moreover, the battery can be charged from a 100 to 240 volts electrical outlets.
- 6Finally, the brushless noise reduction DC motor turns at 3,200 revolutions per minute.
- 1First, the dimensions of the massager is 9.45” long, 2.82” wide, and 9.45” high.
- 2Second, it weighs only 2.2 pounds.
- 3Also, because it is made from nylon and glass fiber, it can withstand a drop of 6.6 feet.
- 4Furthermore, it comes with carrying case to carry the massager.
Finally, it comes with a 1-year warranty. Also, you can return it within 30 days and get a full refund.
- 1First, these deep tissue massagers help relieve sore and stiff muscles.
- 2Second, they reduce muscle pain and swelling.
- 3Third, they improve blood circulation and lymphatic drainage.
- 4Also, they increase range of motion.
- 5Lastly, they restore elasticity and length to muscles.
- 1Firstly, it comes with four massage heads.
- 2Secondly, there are 20 pre-set speeds.
- 3Thirdly, massager is quiet generating between 35 to 55 decibels.
- 4Moreover, battery has capacity to run for 8 hours without a recharge.
- 5In addition, battery can be recharged in 3 hours.
- 6Lastly, the massager comes with a 1-year warranty.
Chirogun Massage Gun - Chirogun Deep Tissue Massager - Deep Tissue Massage Gun - Percussion Massager - Muscle Gun Massager
First, this massage gun comes with 15 replaceable massage head attachments. Also, these attachments are designed specifically for the following 15 muscle groups: feet, knees, joints, arms, back and spine, under arms, calves, hamstrings, glutes, neck, shoulders, wrists, chest, lower back, and abs.
In addition, it is easy to swap these attachments.
Moreover, this massage gun comes with extras like two massage balls.
Second, this massage gun has 30 speed levels or settings. Now, the low speeds are used to warm up and relax. Meanwhile, the mid-speeds are used to recover and eliminate pain. Lastly, the high speeds are used for a deep tissue massage.
Most of all, a level or speed setting of 30 results in 3,200 percussions per minute, which can be seen on the touch screen display.
Third, even at maximum speed the gun massager’s sound level will not exceed 60 decibels. Meanwhile, for comparison, normal talk is 60 to 70 decibels, while a library is 45 decibels.
Battery and Motor
- 1Next, this massager comes with a 2,550 mAh fast-charging and long-life lithium-ion battery.
- 2By the way, the 2,550 mAH capacity battery means that the brushless, high-torque motor can run continuously for six hours when the battery is fully charged.
- 3Also, this massager comes with a 1 amp/25.5 volt adapter that quickly recharges the battery.
- 1Most of all, this is a cordless handheld massager.
- 2Furthermore, the touch screen has as on/off soft button switch. Also, the touch screen lets you set up to 30 speeds. In addition, it displays the percentage of battery charge still available.
- 3Finally, it comes with an elegant case for storing the massage gun and helping carry it.
Now, it comes with a 30-days money back guarantee. However, there is no mention of a longer term warranty.
- 1First, it helps release tension.
- 2Also, it helps with quicker recovery.
- 3Moreover, the massager helps you becomes healthier.
- 4Finally, it improves blood circulation.
- 1Most of all, the massager comes with 15 massage heads and 2 massage balls.
- 2Also, Chirogun offers 30 speed levels ranging up to 3,200 percussions per minute.
- 3Meanwhile, it is quiet generating 60 decibels
- 4Next, battery provides power for 6 hours after a full charge.
- 5Lastly, it comes with a 1 amp/25.5 volt adapter that quickly recharges the battery.
Regrettably, there is only the standard 30-day full refund policy. In fact, there is no mention of a long term warranty.
Muscle Massage Gun, WASAGUN Professional Handheld Vibration Massager Device, Cordless Electric Percussion Full Body Muscle Massage Equipment
Most of all, it has four replaceable, different shaped, head attachments:
- 1First, a fork head for the spine and neck.
- 2Second, a flat head for any part of the body such as back and leg.
- 3Third, a bullet head for joints, deep tissues, and trigger points.
- 4Fourth, a round head for large muscle groups such as quads and gluteus.
Also, it comes with five speed settings:
- 1First, 23 Hertz, 1,400 revolutions per minute, for the elderly.
- 2Second, 30 Hertz, 1,800 revolutions per minute, for the office worker.
- 3Third, 36 Hertz, 2,200 revolutions per minute, for recovery treatment.
- 4Fourth, 43 Hertz, 2,600 revolutions per minute, for sports enthusiasts.
- 5Fifth, 53 Hertz, 3,200 revolutions per minute, for fitness professionals.
Next, using a new generation of noise reduction technology it generates 65 decibels of sound. Meanwhile, for comparison, normal talk is 60 to 70 decibels, while a ringing alarm clock is 75 to 90 decibels.
Battery and Motor
- 1Moreover, it comes with a rechargeable 2,550 mAh high quality lithium-ion battery that can work for four hours after a charge. Furthermore, the battery has a service life of 50,000 hours.
- 2Also, it has a LED battery status indicator, so you know when the battery gets low.
- 3Next, it uses a brushless motor with speeds from 1,400 to 3,200 revolutions per minute.
- 1First and foremost, it uses innovative ergonomic design with silicone handle tilted 15 degrees to prevent it slipping and falling from your hands. In addition, the ergonomic grip minimizes external forces and so it’s easy to use for relieving myofascial issues.
- 2Next, the dimension of the massager is 11.8” long and 5.9” high.
- 3And, it weighs only 2.2 pounds.
- 4Also, the carrying bag lets you carry the machine anywhere (home, gym, office, etc.).
Finally, these deep tissue massagers come with a 1-month free trial and a 2-year warranty.
- 1First, it helps release stress, tension, ease sore, tight muscles, relax all muscle groups, and energize your body.
- 2Also, it relieves stiff and sore muscles.
- 3Next, the massager helps the user relax different parts of the body.
- 4In addition, it relieves aches from bruises, stiff neck, sore shoulder, as well as backache.
- 5Finally, it activates muscles, stimulates blood flow, greatly reduces muscle recovery time, relieve pain, and relax from head to toe.
- 1First, use for 15 to 20 seconds on shoulder muscles.
- 2Next, use for 30 seconds on chest muscles.
- 3And, use for 30 to 60 seconds on back muscles.
- 4Finally, use for 20 to 30 seconds on lower limb muscles.
- 1Importantly, Wasagun comes with 5 preset speeds.
- 2Also, it can be used for up to 4 hours.
- 3In addition, the Wasagun comes with a 2-year warranty. Meanwhile, you get a month of free trial.
- 1However, at 65 decibels, this massager is not as quiet of some of the others.
4. VYBE Pro
Exerscribe VYBE Percussion Massage Gun - Pro Premium - Muscle Deep Tissue Massager
Most of all, it has four heads targeting specific groups of muscles including a few options for deep tissue: flat head, fork head, bullet head, and large ball.
- 1Also, this well built, high quality machine has five adjustable speeds and a very powerful percussion vibration giving you up to 3,200 strokes per minute with an amplitude of 10 mm.
- 2Meanwhile, it generates a maximum force of 30 pounds.
Next, at 50 to 60 decibels it is ultra-quiet. For comparison, normal talking is 60 to 70 decibels, and a ringing alarm clock is 75 to 90 decibels.
Battery and Motor
- 1Now, the built-in battery can be used for four hours.
- 2Also, a LED indicator shows remaining battery capacity.
- 3Finally, it uses a 24-volt brushless DC motor with double bearing transmission that has high power.
- 1First and foremost, this is a cordless massager.
- 2Also, the compact size and travel case makes it easy to take with you for use at home, work, gym or travel.
- 3Next, the dimension of the massager is 6” long, 2.5” wide, and 10” high.
- 4Moreover, the massager weighs 2.2 pounds.
Finally, these deep tissue massagers come with a 1-year warranty and 30-day money back guarantee.
- 1First, it helps clear difficult muscle knots.
- 2Second, it helps recover from hard workouts.
- 3Also, it increases range of motion.
- 4In addition, it helps in engaging and relaxing muscles.
- 5Finally, the pulsating action gets deep into the muscle and is great at removing your aches and pains.
- 1Vybe PRO has 5 speeds up to 3,200 percussions per minutes.
- 2Also, it can be used for up to 4 hours.
- 3Lastly, massager comes with a 1-year warranty and 30-day money back guarantee.
- 1However, at 50 to 60 decibels it's not as quiet as some others.
5. OPOVE M3 Pro
OPOVE M3 Pro Massage Gun - Deep Tissue Percussion Muscle Massager - Handheld Electric Body Massager - Sports Drill
Now, the four interchangeable massage heads include the following.
- 1First, a 2.25 inches wide fork head suitable for the neck, spine, and achilles tendon.
- 2Second, a flat head suitable for all parts of the body. Also, it is good for relaxing and shaping muscles.
- 3Third, a bullet head for deep tissues such as meridians, palms, soles, and others.
- 4Fourth, a round head for large muscles groups such as arms, back, buttocks, thighs, calves, etc.
Also, it has 3 speed levels.
- 1First, level 1 generates 1,800 percussions per minute which is good for warming up.
- 2Second, level 2 generates 2,400 percussions per minute which is good for relaxing your muscles.
- 3Finally, level 3 generates 3,200 percussions per minute which is good for a deep massage.
Meanwhile each stroke is 12 mm deep. By the way, the speed allows you to generate the right amount of pressure to relieve muscle pain. Also, the stall force is 25 pounds.
Next, it is one of the quietest massagers. generating between 35 to 55 decibels of noise. Meanwhile, for comparison, normal talk is 60 to 70 decibels, while a moderate rainfall is 50 decibels.
Battery and Motor
- 1First, the massager is equipped with a 2600 mAh high-quality lithium battery.
- 2Also, the rechargeable lithium-ion battery can work for three hours after a charge.
- 3However, to ensure your safety, 10 minutes of constant use will cause the massage gun to shut down.
- 4In addition, the lithium-ion battery is rechargeable using either 110 volts or 240 volts electrical outlet.
- 5Finally, it has a 24 volts brushless high-torque motor.
- 1First, this is a cordless vibration massager.
- 2Also, it is 10 inches long, 5 inches wide and 1.5 inches thick.
- 3In addition, it weighs only 2.2 pounds.
- 4Moreover, the waterproof shell, made of Nylon 66 and glass fiber, can withstand a drop of 6.6 feet.
- 5Finally, it comes with a carrying case.
Most of all, these deep tissue massagers come with a 1-year warranty. By the way, they send you a replacement rather than repair the massager you returned. Also, it has a 30-days money back guarantee.
- 1First, it relieves sore, tender, and aching muscles or joints.
- 2Also, it helps remove knots and tension out of muscles.
- 3In addition, it improves blood flow.
- 4Finally, it increase your range of motion.
- 1First, because it is quiet, it can be used at home or office, without interrupting others.
- 2Also, it can be conveniently used with a single hand.
- 3Finally, it can be used for myofascial release.
- 1Especially relevant, M3 Pro comes with four massage heads.
- 2Also, it comes with 3 preset speeds of 1,800, 2,400, and 3,200 percussions per minute.
- 3Meanwhile, massager is quiet generating between 35 to 55 decibels.
- 4Also, it can be used for up to 3 hours.
- 5Furthermore, being rugged, it can withstand a drop from 6.6 feet.
- 6Lastly, it comes with a 1-year warranty.
6. Opove M3 Pro Black
Massage Gun Muscle Massager - Deep Tissue Percussion Portable Handheld Electric Body Massager - Sports Drill
Similar to the Opove M3 Pro Massager described above, except the color is black.
Sonic Handheld Percussion Massage Gun - Deep Tissue Massager
Most of all, it has five interchangeable heads.
- 1First, a fork head to loosen up tough back tissue and improve flexibility.
- 2Second, a flat head for muscles and areas that need a little more help. Also, it simulates deep tissue massage.
- 3Third, two bullet heads for joints, trigger points and relieving muscle knots.
- 4Fourth, a round head to improve recovery and relieve sore muscles after workouts with a gentle oblique impact.
Also, it provides five intensity levels.
- 1First, a low level 1 - 20 Hertz, 1,200 revolutions per minute.
- 2Second, a moderate level 2 - 30 Hertz, 1,800 revolutions per minute.
- 3Third, a strong level 3 - 40 Hertz, 2,400 revolutions per minute.
- 4Fourth, an intense level 4 - 50 Hertz, 3,000 revolutions per minute.
- 5Fifth, a powerful level 5 - 60 Hertz, 3,600 revolutions per minute.
Next, it generates 60 to 75 decibels of sound. Meanwhile, for comparison, normal talk is 60 to 70 decibels, while a ringing alarm clock is 75 to 90 decibels.
Battery and Motor
- 1FIrst, it comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that can work for three to six hours after a charge.
- 2Second, the battery charger can be plugged into a 110 or 240 volt, 50/60 Hertz electrical outlet.
- 3Also, the LED pulsating lights indicate battery level charging status.
- 4Meanwhile, it takes up to six hours to full charge the battery before first use.
- 5Next, it uses a super quiet brushless motor.
- 1First, the comfortable grip allows single-handed operation.
- 2Second, the easy to use guide allows you to start using it in minutes.
- 3Also, the front LED panel features an on/off switch and a 16.8 volt charging port.
- 4In addition, the vibration level switch is located right where your index finger rests.
- 5Meanwhile, the heavy-duty construction keeps the massager stable at all speeds.
- 6Also, it weighs only 2.6 pounds.
- 7In addition, you can carry the machine to the office, gym, home, travel, etc.
- 8Moreover, there is access to live support and free access to the online video library.
Finally, these deep tissue massagers come with a 100% money back lifetime warranty, so long as you own the Sonic. And there is lifetime support.
- 1First, it rejuvenates sore tissues and aching muscles.
- 2Also, the powerful motor delivers powerful high-penetration waves of relaxation and relief throughout the body.
- 3Next, it boosts athletic performance when incorporated with pre-workout warm-ups and post-workout recovery routines.
- 4In addition, the trigger-point massage therapy boosts everyday mobility and flexibility.
- 5Also, it provides relief from joint pain, myofascial pain, and sore muscles.
- 6Next, it reduces tension, targets trigger points, and promotes faster, smoother, and more effective recovery.
- 7Finally, it keeps the body feeling great day after day to elevate athletic performance and improve the quality of exercise routines.
Most noteworthy, it is used by healthcare professionals, doctors, trainers, and professional athletes to warm up before and recover after big sports games and events.
- 1Especially noteworthy, the Sonic massager has 5 preset speeds ranging from 1,200 to 3,600 percussions per minute.
- 2Moreover, it can be used from 3 to 6 hours.
- 3Finally, the massager comes with a 100% money back lifetime warranty.
- 1However, at 60 to 75 decibels, it's more louder than many of the others reviewed here.
Buyer's Guide for Deep Tissue Massagers
The following features characterize deep tissue massagers.
Attachments or Massage Heads
First and foremost, attachments or massage heads required depend on the part of the body to be massaged. For example, if you'll only use it on just your large muscles, such as your back and legs, you probably don't need many attachments. But if you intend to use it on specific areas, such as the arch of your foot, you'd benefit from attachments intended for those specific areas.
Meanwhile, massagers usually come with four types of heads:
- 1First, a fork head that is used for the neck, shoulders, spine, and sensitive muscles or soft tissues
- 2Second, a flat head that is used on the back and legs. This head creates a massage that is soothing and relaxing.
- 3Third, a bullet head that is used on joints, trigger points, deep tissues and small muscle areas like the wrist and feet. The bullet head reaches deep into the muscles and give a better massage.
- 4Lastly, a round head that is used for big muscles like the quads and gluteus
In addition to the above, the more the number of tips available for generalized or more specific application, the more versatile the massager is.
Next, the battery allows you to use the massager more freely as compared to one connected to a power supply. Also, if you plan to use it often, you want the battery to run for a long time before recharging. In addition, if you are a frequent user, you want the battery to recharge quickly.
Meanwhile, the intensity of a massager is controlled by its speed. For example, lower speeds are good for a relaxing massage. And as the speed increases you get a harder massage to relieve the more intense pain. However, very fast speeds can be uncomfortable for some people.
Next, the motor is the primary source of noise. And, it is also the source of speeds that a massager provides. So, if you work out a lot and often experience muscle soreness or pain, look for at least two speed and power settings. Incidentally, one of these settings being less intense so you can use the gun on very sore muscles.
Because you may use the massager on your neck, upper back and arms it comes close to your ears. Consequently, it needs to be relative quiet. Besides, a noisy massager is definitely not relaxing.
Next, if you're going to be traveling with your massager, you'll want one that can easily fit into a bag or suitcase. Incidentally, most are indeed handheld massagers, but some units are rather bulky.
Also, pressure plays a key role in the effectiveness of the massager. And, the pressure is controlled by your hand. However, it may be difficult to apply pressure in hard to reach places of the body. In which case, its best to get someone to help.
Type of Motion
Meanwhile, some deep tissue massagers use vibration, vibration plus thumping, vibration plus a circular motion, or some other motion to deliver the therapy. So, select the massager than delivers the therapy you need.
Next, the warranty and return policy is an indicator of the massager’s reliability.
Meanwhile, the weight of the massager determines if its going to be easy or hard to massage difficult to access areas of your body.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
Q: What are these Massagers?
First and foremost, deep tissue massagers, also known as massage guns, enable you to take control of your own muscle recovery process. Moreover, the percussive nature of the massager helps to treat sore, lactic acid filled, muscles and speed up Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) and recovery process. In fact, massage guns do this by providing concentrated, rapid, short duration pulses that travel deep into muscle tissues. Consequently, these pulses increase blood flow to the tissues, which accelerates their growth and repair, relieving pain, increasing range of motion, and improving their function.
Therefore, a massage gun offers the same or better results as a deep tissue massage by a person. And it does so only in minutes not hours, on your own time and according to your schedule. Most of all, studies show that these massagers are effective at treating DOMS.
Meanwhile, percussion massagers use a unique combination of frequency, amplitude, and torque to create a back and forth oscillation at different speeds and depths into soft tissue. Also, when done on connective tissue they loosen muscles, relieve tension, boost recovery, and improve circulation. In addition, the smaller, firmer massage heads can target hard to get trigger points or knots.
Most of all, their unique frequencies stop the brain from feeling the acute pain you might experience while working soft tissue. Apparently, this is because pain signals travel at certain speed whereas the compression waves from these tools travel more quickly. As a result, the pain signals the brain receives are overridden.
Q: What are the Benefits of Massage Guns?
The benefits of massage guns include the following.
- 1Ease soft tissue pain
- 2Release lactic acid
- 3Accelerate muscle recovery
- 4Stimulate muscle growth
- 5Improve blood circulation
- 6Enhance range of motion quickly
- 7Gently stretch muscles
- 8Improve muscle responsiveness
Q: How Long do You Use these Massagers?
Above all, these deep tissue massagers can be used for as little as 2 minutes and as long as 15 minutes. Meanwhile, a 15-minute session is more than enough to provide you the desired benefits, comfort, and relaxation for your aching muscles along with reinvigorating you. Furthermore, many find that 3 to 5 minute quick massages, in chunks of 10 to 20 seconds, helps ease pain, muscle soreness, and stress.
Q: How do You Use these Massagers?
Start with a small area of soft tissue and work with it for at most 2 minutes. In the beginning, anything longer than two minutes has the potential to irritate the area. Also, avoid excessive compression as that may have the opposite effect by decreasing blood flow. Next, avoid using deep tissue massagers on acute injuries, or directly on tendons, nerves or nerve bundles because they can become inflamed and irritated.
Most of all, deeper is not necessarily better or more effective. The approach of harder, longer, deeper and the more painful the better can cause more harm than good. So, start with lighter work in small time increments.
Q: Are these Massagers Safe?
Above all, speak to your doctor before you use these machines, if you have any of the conditions described below.
- 1First, if you have a bleeding disorder.
- 2Second, if you have cancer or undergoing cancer treatment, such as chemotherapy or radiation.
- 3Third, if you have a history of blood clots or clotting disorder.
- 4Or, if you are taking blood thinners.
- 5Also, if you have osteoporosis or cancer that has spread to the bones.
- 6In addition, if you are pregnant.
- 7Finally, if you have an open would or skin infection of any kind.
Q: What are Trigger Points?
First and foremost, trigger points (also known as muscle “knots”) are sensitive spots in soft tissue. Moreover, pressure on these spots triggers or causes strain and pain throughout the muscle.
Most noteworthy, they occur after a muscle has been contracted repetitively. For example, repetitive motions in jobs or hobbies, or stress are causes. Also, sensitive areas of tight muscle fibers can form in your muscles after injuries or overuse.
Meanwhile, the pictures below show the usual location of these trigger points.